Grade II* Parish church of C13, restored in 1825, 1860 by G.G. Scott and 1872 by Butterfield.
MATERIALS: Ashlar with tooled C19 masonry to the chancel, tile roofs, except for copper roof of south aisle.
PLAN: Aisled nave and chancel, west tower, south porch and north-east vestry.
EXTERIOR: The broad 2-stage early C13 tower has moulded strings, massive clasping buttresses and internal south-west turret. The large lancet west window has a double-chamfered surround, with smaller lancets on north and south sides. Tripartite arcading in the upper stage has blind outer arches, and inner arches subdivided and with louvres. The parapet and octagonal stone spire with lucarnes were added in the 1830s. The remainder of the exterior is almost entirely C19. The nave has 3-bay aisles under lean-to roofs, with 2-light and 3-light Decorated windows, and paired and triple clerestorey windows with trefoil heads. The tall buttressed porch has re-used C13 trefoil-headed entrance, and nave doorway with nook shafts. The re-faced chancel has aisles under lean-to roofs, with re-used 2-light Decorated windows and blind south doorway. The east wall has triple lancets separated by deep buttresses, with a small quatrefoil window in the gable. The gabled north-east vestry has diagonal buttresses.
HISTORY: The west tower is early C13 and the arcades and chancel arch only slightly later. Chancel arcades appear to date from the erection of aisles in 1825, although it has been argued that the piers are C13 but altered in the C19. The chancel was re-faced and re-roofed in the 1840s. The original nave north aisle was taken down in 1685, but the arcade was preserved. A new aisle had been built in 1825 but it was replaced in 1860 by George Gilbert Scott (1811-78). The south aisle was rebuilt and widened in 1872 by William Butterfield (1829-99), who also heightened the nave by adding a clerestorey, with trademark polychrome interior decoration, adding a north vestry and rebuilding the porch using old masonry.
TOAL was from the Church Carpark, which is also open for parking.
Land owner permission not required.
View and discuss this location in more detail on Grey Arrows.
Co-ordinates: 52.84127, -2.039316 • what3words: ///open.intruded.irrigated