The present church of St Michael and All Angels is constructed of local sandstone and work started at the very beginning of the 13thcentury, with the original building being completed by the end of that century. The tower and porch were added in the 14th century. Additional modifications were completed in the 16th century, and structurally, the present building is much as it was at that time. During the 12th and 13th centuries, there was an intriguing law requiring that all men practice archery, in church yards, on Sundays! The purpose of this regulation was to provide sufficient skilled bowmen. In this area, their prime combatants would have been the Welsh. 1548 saw the Dissolution of Religious Houses, and meant the end of the Penkridge Deanery.
Many of the buildings, under the authority of John Dudley, Earl of Warwick (later Duke of Northumberland), were destroyed, and the local sandstone reused in other buildings in the village. In 1660, following the Restoration, Hinde continued as Vicar of Penkridge.
Parking is available at the Railway Station or just outside the Church in the Centre of Penkridge in Clay Street.
Land owner permission not required.
View and discuss this location in more detail on Grey Arrows.
Co-ordinates: 52.72493, -2.117304 • what3words: ///sweeper.twin.covertly