Parking: 51.737184, -2.448576
TOAL: 51.737711, -2.450848
Purton is a village on the east bank of the River Severn, 3 miles north of Berkeley, in Gloucestershire, England. The village is in the civil parish of Hinton. It lies opposite the hamlet of Purton on the west bank of the river.
There was a ferry across the river to the other Purton by 1282. In the late 18th and early 19th century, there was also a ford across the river here. The ferry, known as Purton Passage, continued in use until 1879, when it was replaced by the Severn Railway Bridge.
The Gloucester and Sharpness Canal passes through the village.
Purton Lower Bridge is a minor waterways place on the Gloucester and Sharpness Canal between Sharpness Barge Arm (Junction of old and new lines of canal).
Land owner permission not required.
View and discuss this location in more detail on Grey Arrows.
Co-ordinates: 51.737, -2.448714 • what3words: ///pupils.clots.reform