Very popular in the summer with dog walkers and picnickers. Also, unfortunately, with clatty campers who turn up to trash the place, leave all their rubbish behind, and empty the loch of fish. The landowners have now blocked off much of the available parking bays and rangers now frequent the area, along with police, to discourage the clatty campers. Also popular all year round with canoists, paddle boarders and wild swimmers, it can be a very busy place. In the spring/summer a pair of Ospreys return to rebuild their nest and hopefuly raise some chicks. One of them is thought to be the offspring from the famoust residents at Loch of the Lowes, just a short drive away. So be mindful at this time of year, the locals are very protective of their ospreys and you could find yourself in a spot of bother, along with a visit from the police and wildlife protection officer!!!
The Loch of Clunie has a single island, said to be artificial, which has the remains of Clunie Castle. The house was built by George Brown Bishop of Dunkeld between 1485 and 1514 as a spiritual retreat. A chapel was dedicated to St Catherine in the house in 1507. It is thought that the island had been used as a crannog for many years previously. Human remains in the form of bones have been unearthed.
Built on a hillock on the western shore of the Loch is Old Clunie Castle. The castle replaced a hunting lodge used by Kenneth MacAlpin, King of the Picts, as a base for hunting in the nearby royal forest of Clunie. King Edward I of England stayed four nights in 1296 at the castle during his invasion of Scotland, before travelling to Inverquiech Castle. A place of Clunie is recorded in The Chronicle of the Kings of Alba as having been wasted by the Danes in 849, and as such is a scheduled monument of national importance.
Land owner permission not required.
View and discuss this location in more detail on Grey Arrows.
Co-ordinates: 56.57884, -3.450418 • what3words: ///chariots.eagles.inert