Parking and TOAL at 51.667174, -2.048404
Note: this is an active airport and inside an FRZ, therefore permission is needed from Cotswolds Airport ATC prior to flight.
Construction work for RAF Kemble, as it was then named, began in 1936, and the first operational unit to arrive at the station was No. 5 Maintenance Unit RAF on 22 June 1938. In 1940, No. 4 Service Ferry Pool moved to the station from Cardiff, and Kemble became the headquarters for the aircraft ferrying operations of the Air Transport Auxiliary across the country.
From 1966 until 1983, Kemble housed the Red Arrows, the RAF Aerobatic display team; which operated Folland Gnats and BAe Hawks from there. After the Red Arrows moved to RAF Scampton, the station was used by the US Air Force as a maintenance facility, initially for A-10 Thunderbolt aircraft, though followed by Northrop F-5s, McDonnell Douglas F-15 Eagles, Lockheed C-130 Hercules and Boeing KC-135 Stratotankers.
Following the end of the Cold War, the US Air Force left the station and it was returned to the Ministry of Defence (MoD). The British Army made use of the site to store surplus vehicles and equipment, and military flights ended at the station in March 1993.
The MoD initially leased buildings on the former station before selling the site to Ronan Harvey, a local businessman, in March 2001.
Land owner permission obtained.
View and discuss this location in more detail on Grey Arrows.
Co-ordinates: 51.66713, -2.048471 • what3words: ///lawns.trackers.youngest